Shoulder Replacement Surgeon in Raleigh, NC
What is shoulder replacement surgery?
Shoulder replacement surgery, or shoulder arthroplasty, is a procedure that is used to replace the ball and socket for patients with severe arthritis damage or an irreparable fracture of the shoulder. Your shoulder is a ball socket joint that allows your arm to move in space. Shoulder pain and stiffness may affect the quality of your life. Dr. David Dare, an experienced orthopedic surgeon in North Carolina, offers conservative as well as surgical approaches to shoulder restoration. He has served patients in the Raleigh area for years and specializes in conditions affecting the shoulder.
When is shoulder replacement surgery needed?
Dr. Dare makes every effort to treat a patient using the least invasive techniques prior to recommending surgery. For many patients, a conservative approach will help restore your shoulder function and relieve pain. However, in serious cases, shoulder replacement may be needed. Dr. Dare may recommend shoulder replacement surgery if you suffer from any of the following shoulder issues that do not resolve with conservative treatment options:
What does shoulder replacement surgery involve?
The shoulder replacement procedure involves Dr. Dare removing the damaged portions of your shoulder joint and then carefully replacing them with artificial joint parts. Depending on the extent of your injury or shoulder arthritis, Dr. Dare may perform one of the following shoulder replacement surgeries:
- Partial shoulder replacement – involves replacing only the ball portion of the ball and socket shoulder joint. This is very rare.
- Total shoulder replacement – the most common type of shoulder replacement, involving replacing the ball portion of the joint and resurfacing the socket portion of the joint.
- Reverse shoulder replacement – usually used when you have arthritis secondary to a dysfunctional rotator cuff or if another shoulder replacement procedure has failed.
This kind of surgery usually requires you to remain in the hospital for 1-2 days to recover. Following your procedure, Dr. Dare will work with you closely to provide support over the next few months as you are gaining back function of your shoulder.
What are the benefits of having shoulder replacement surgery?
Choosing to entrust Dr. David Dare with your shoulder replacement surgery can offer you the below benefits:
- Trusted orthopedic surgeon trained specifically in shoulder surgery
- Restored shoulder function
- Reduced joint pain
- Improved ability to participate in regular activities
If you believe you may need shoulder replacement surgery, consult an orthopedic specialist. Dr. David Dare is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and shoulder surgery. His primary goal is to develop an effective treatment plan using the least invasive techniques to relieve your shoulder pain, restore function, and get you back to feeling your best. Call 919.781.5600 or fill out the form on this page to schedule an appointment with Dr. Dare today.